Green Beans with Leeks and Toasted Pinenuts
1 ea leek, trimmed
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon pine nuts
Interesting presentation of green beans with Native American flavour, leeks (ramps) and pinenuts. The sweetness of fresh green beans is enhanced by cooking them with leeks. Pine nuts are a welcome addition both for texture and flavor. Serve this
side dish with roasted meats, fish or as part of a buffet. Preparation Cook: 25 Min
1. Bring a medium-sized pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, slice the
leek very thin and soak the slices in a bowl of cold water. Allow the dirt
to settle before removing the leek with a small strainer without
disturbing the dirt.
2. Blanch the green beans in the boiling water until very green and just
tender with a slight crisp to the bite, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Using tongs, transfer beans to a bowl of ice water to stop their
cooking. Do not pour out the boiling water.
4. Bring the water back to a boil and cook the leeks for 3 minutes; drain
well. Heat the butter, oil, and pine nuts together in a large saute pan
over medium-high heat. Keep the pan in constant motion to toast the pine
nuts, about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in green beans and leeks. Cook until heated, about 4 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
Contributor: The Culinary Institute of America